Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just a step further from the "Right vs. Wrong" debate

Everything is just that little step away. That which everybody secretly wishes to die for, but hates to admit openly, that which everybody shies away from when questioned, and that which we all know exists, is just a step further from the titular debate. There is nothing that is absolutely right or wrong.

That, I call 'most right' or 'least wrong'. That does exist, and we all know it does, but hate to admit in the debate, while we only try to silence our opponent. It might be apt now for me to remember a beautiful dialogue in "The Great Debaters":

"Who is your opponent?"
"He does not exist."
"Why does he not exist?"
"Because he is a mere dissenting voice of the truth I speak!"

That moved me to the verge of tears. But, I didn't cry, because I had finally gained control over my lacrimal glands. "Mere dissenting voice of the truth I speak", is such a beautiful phrase. The relevance of this phrase to our discussion is simply this: The opponent is not your enemy, he is your friend. Without him, you can not reach the truth, just like you can not walk on one limb. So, 'most right'? What does that mean?

It means everything in this physical world is less right than what is most right. Nothing is wrong, but only less right or least right. What is most right, I shall not say, but we all know. I will give you an example. The sun rises in the east. Is this right, or more right? My answer is that this statement is almost most right. Here I offer my explanation. In Indonesia, the sun rises in the east. In Nova Scotia in summer, the sun rises in the north east. In Alaska in summer, the sun rises in the north north east. I think you might want to say at this point, "I think I know where you're going." That only makes it easier for me. So, where does the sun rise in summer at the north pole? The sun neither rises not sets. He is there for six months straight. Doesn't "the sun rises in the east" become inappropriate there? Would you call that wrong? Least right? Irrelevant? False? Mu?

Do you see now that right and wrong are man-made, artificial, and hence divisive, and not absolute? You might be tempted to say that it's just one example that I chose. I can probably say then that I can prove myself with any statement that most people think is right, given enough resources. Won't you latch on to 'resources'? "What resources?", you will ask. "The best resource on my list is your patience.", I will say. This will go on, because in both our minds, there is a difference in the understanding of all that is right and wrong, while there is not any, and hence all our understanding of creation becomes baseless. This shakes man's ground, and threatens to destroy all that he has come to cherish and worship until now.

Most right, as I said, is only a step further from what we think is absolutely right. It is this step that we all are scared out of our wits to take, for it lands us in the end of the world. There is only one thing that I can say at this point now, as I said to my sister during the exact same debate.

The only thing that is most right, or absolutely right is God. Everything else in this and any other world, real or imaginary, is less right.

No comments:

Post a Comment