Sunday, April 30, 2006

High T...

Chennai has reached it hottest summer in 33 years! Now, we are right in the middle of it. Lucky we are amid trees in IITM or we would have been reduced to ashes.

I once imagined a situation where I shop in the Spencer Plaza for a few hours and then begin to walk out. Before stepping out, I see the sun outside and extend my arm to check how hot it is outside. When I retract it, I see only black burnt humerus, radius and ulna. That kind of scene is not faraway with this rate of global warming. We will perhaps have to live underground all our lives or in glasshouses if we have to stay above the ground.

Go to Himalaya at 12 noon after class and you will forget all hunger because of the sweat and heat. But I will still want to go inside. Do you know why? For the cold water in there. No other beverage can replace ice-cold water. I want to keep drinking cold water as long as I can. But my stomach gets full after two glasses.

Oh my God! I can't stand this heat. Sometimes I feel I only want to go to Australia to escape this heat. But the bloody Visas look like they don't want black-boned Indians in Australia. And may God save the ones who are going to Hyd, B'lore and the ones staying in Chennai for their Internships. It's probable that I will join their Burnt Club if the Visas don't move a muscle. And park your bicycle in the sun for a few minutes and then try sitting on it, both the seats get roasted.

I don't know if you know this or not, but it's in my blood to sweat like hell whenever there is an opportunity. Everyone in my family sweats like that. I see Sachin has that involuntary habit too. One hanky is not good enough, I need a towel most times. Keep your hand stationary at a place for a minute, it gets wet with sweat. Even nights are hot. There is no instant and no place without conditioned air in Chennai these days where you can't sweat.

I must say, it's been a pleasure watching the movie Ice Age: The Meltdown, I felt like it was winter again. When you watch a movie, you don't care about your surroundings. You probably are sweating now, reading this post, because all I have been talking about has been high T. But it was a bit on the negative side that the ice in the movie had to melt - Global Warming again.

Whenever I am alone in my room, I stay in only one piece of cloth, or sometimes none. Many boys do that in their rooms, but they don't confess to you. It's not a shame guys, who is watching you? Webcams are banned in here! No one can know even while chatting online (unless you tell them of course!). And I won't talk about how girls suffer in their clothes in such weather.

Oh boy am I so desperate for this summer to get over! All I can dream in the nights, if I manage to get some sleep, is ice, water, rain, cold pineapple juice and my sweatshirts for winter. And hey, my fords! I wouldn't mind getting drowned in there if you can get me into one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment