Thursday, March 15, 2007

I must change

I recently saw a news item on rediff NEWS when one of my friends passed me the link to the article. It goes like this :


I was overwhelmed by the comments following the article, which ran for five pages and are still increasing. But, around 95% of them criticized Mr. K R Ramakrishnan for such beliefs and Rediff for publishing it. I strongly agree with them, too.

I liked one comment where one quoted a verse from the Quran:

"GOD WILL NOT CHANGE THE CONDITION OF ANY PEOPLE UNLESS THEY CHANGE THEMSELVES"

It is perfectly true. Realization and self-change is the first step in the path of success and achievement, or societal change. I said this, in my comment that goes like this:

I strongly agree with many readers who say "Rediff must stay away from publicizing activities and personal beliefs like this and not create such a hype for its own monetary gain or fame!".

But before we abuse Rediff and Mr. Ramakrishnan, I think we must realize that it is WE, the readers, who are publicizing it. Please, let's think. It's big news if the readers are interested in it and talk about it among themselves. For example, you send your friend or relative this link and ask him/her to read it - you are spreading the word. But isn't that what publicity is? You comment on it and express your view for everybody to read and no matter how much your comment opposes the news item itself, you add to the count of readers who are concerned about it, whether your concern is negative, or on an extremely rare occasion, positive. I am sure an ad agency only cares about the number of hits a particular page/news article receives and not about its comment content, even this negative publicity is equally preferred by the media because it's fetching them good money.

Since I firmly believe in action a lot more than I do in words (I believe in words too, which is why I am writing this post), I think the moment that link or article comes to us and we read it, we must put it out of our minds and never talk about it to anybody. We must treat it as if it doesn't exist. If every reader does this, which is a test of people's unity and mass awareness, I think news like this will gradually decay from the media for the sole reason it would otherwise publish it - NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN IT!.


1 comment:

  1. only one who is interested in reading ur comment will read it ;) nice way of commenting

    ReplyDelete