Monday, November 14, 2005

Do you believe in God?

This is from the movie 'Contact'. At a conference, A,Ellie Arroway (cast by Jodie Foster) replies to a question from B,Palmer Ross( cast by Matthew McConnaughey), in front of the selection committee, who assembled to interview the candidates to select the person to travel in the 'Machine'.
X,Y : Other people.

B:Would you consider yourself...a spiritual person?
A:I don't understand the point of the question. I consider myself ...a moral person.
X:We're sure that's the case, but what Mr. Joss is in fact asking--
B:Do you believe in God?
A:As a scientist...I rely on empirical evidence, and in this matter...I don't believe that there's data
either way.
Y:So your answer would in fact be that you don't believe in God.
A:I don't understand the relevance of the question.

Y:95% of the world's population...believes in a Supreme Being in one form or another. I believe that makes the question more than relevant.

A:I believe...I believe I've already answered the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment