Thursday, November 27, 2008

Aren't they liars and hypocrites?

I met her last Saturday. I didn't know her before that. All I knew was that she was a grad student at CMU. I thought we had a candid conversation. I had a good first impression of her. She said she wanted to go with dating instead of an arranged marriage, though I would have expected otherwise of her, with her being the elder sibling and all; that she would try to be responsible and lead her brother with the currently popular and safe approach to a long and happy life. It's probably outdated in this generation, isn't it?

Indeed, I asked her if she found or is seeing someone. She gave me an answer that sounded like a NO to me, but just a few minutes ago, I saw proof that was a blaring 'YES' to my question. "Ha! Such liars!" was the first thought that came to my head as soon as I saw that scene. She was holding hands with a guy and was walking down the street. She didn't notice me, maybe because they walked past me and could only see my back, or because she was mentally lost in another world filled with maya-like happiness.

Anyway, having been in the same situation around a year ago, I can try to understand her situation, but is it any of my business? My interest in her didn't climb past the 'I just know her-she is a friend' threshold in the first place.

You might be thinking this is one bizarre situation or probably an outlier and I shouldn't generalize based on one of those, but haven't I seen recurring proof that I am right in this case? Did I not ask that Mongolian girl to have dinner with me, not give her my card? And wasn't I promised a call later? And boy wasn't I disappointed when I saw her days later performing the same exact act this girl was showing off minutes ago! Count rises to two now!

Probably the worst among all these cases is that of an immediate relative, but it still is not my right to judge or opine unless asked. I still don't want to take risk by making that public.

Count = Count + 1; Number_Of_Liars = 3. Output_Status = Surprise!

All that I learned from these experiences is that there is as much intellectual diversity among women as there is among men. And I don't mean that in a positive way. This is particularly important because having grown up with two sisters and an extremely (probably overly) patient, giving and self-sacrificing father, I had until now always placed the race of women much above that of men. I had no idea that I was headed for utter disappointment when I landed in the "big bad world" and saw things with my own eyes.

Time to judge me? or time to judge women?

What do I ultimately want? I want honesty and truth when it comes to the "fairer but darker inside" sex. If I can't have that, please give me the strength to live without them, the determination to pursue and infer them from experience, and the perseverance to keep trying when I can't find them because I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment